Friday, March 5, 2010

Diary of a Wimpy Kid

I've had quite a few parents ask me for an opinion on "Diary of a Wimpy Kid", the book. As a librarian, I can tell you that "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" has done more for reluctant readers than anything I've ever seen. The font is manuscript in a larger size than traditional type. Also, there are illustrations on every page. And, finally, it's extremely funny. However, you've got to have "6th-grade boy humor" to find this book funny. (Apparently, I do!) There are multiple scenarios that could be offensive. Again, "6th-grade boy humor" offensive, nothing illegal. I have seen kids that would NEVER read a book pick up these books and read the whole series! So, do I recommend this book? Yes! My husband and I are teaching our values to our kids. If a glorified comic book shakes up their faith, then we've got a lot of work to do. From an educational standpoint, the only thing this book will teach them is that READING IS FUN! Whoa! I'm all for it! :) The movie is coming out March 19th. I've "Wimped Myself" and here's a trailer. (I haven't seen any reviews of the movie and don't know if I'll let my kids see it.)

Happy reading,
Susanne

http://www.wimpyourself.com/?w=03016bb5377e5416ecd476512
(This is where I wimped myself.)

1 comment:

  1. I saw that book this weekend and was wondering if it was any good. I love any book that will get kids to read...maybe it will introduce them into the "hard" stuff of reading. It looks like this book is great to introduce to kids and then say hey if you liked that book then try this book (insert name of a more difficult book).

    ReplyDelete