Saturday, March 27, 2010

How can you help your struggling reader?

I frequently talk to parents about their concerns for their struggling reader. There is one exceptionally easy and exceptionally effective way to strengthen your child's reading skills: read-alouds! All you have to do is find a book that is interesting to your child and read it to him. There you go~ that's it! You can do that! Scott and I both read to one of our children each night. You and your child can go to the library or Books-a-Million together and pick out a book. Then, read a chapter or two each night at bedtime. Currently, I'm reading "The 39 Clues" to Harrison and "Hotel for Dogs" to Anna Grace. We always look forward to our time together. One last tip: be sure to pick out a book y'all will both enjoy. Most of the time, I go to the library by myself and peruse our options. Then, I'll surprise the kids with my selection. Here is a sweet article about a father's commitment to oral reading:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/21/fashion/21GenB.html?pagewanted=2

Happy reading,
Susanne

No comments:

Post a Comment