Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Quantity, Quantity, Quantitiy

I have the pleasure of talking with concerned Mommas, Daddies, Teachers and Grandparents EVERY SINGLE DAY. It seems each family has a child that is struggling with reading. Here's the advice I give them. Read. Read a book. Read a magazine. Read a newspaper. Read a graphic novel. Read a cereal box. Read. Read some more. Your child should be reading every single day outside of the classroom. Your child should see you reading. Make sure your child is surrounded by books that interest him. Give your child the opportunity to buy or check out books. I know you want your child reading "War and Peace", "Little Women" and other valuable classics. However if she's not interested, let her start with Henry and Mudge, The Dish Series or My Weird School. The key with getting your child interested in reading, building fluency and increasing comprehension is quantity, quantity, quantity. It is not quality. I love to give book recommendations. If you're looking for some book recommendations for a specific need, please email me. raisingreaders.estes@gmail.com

Happy reading,
Susanne

No comments:

Post a Comment