Tuesday, November 3, 2009

How can you get your older child to read the classics?

There is a new website called, "60 Second Recap". It summarizes various aspects of the classics. I have not reviewed all of the recaps, but I did watch three of them. (Pride and Prejudice, To Kill a Mockingbird and The Catcher in the Rye) I chose these three because I'm most familiar with them and thought I could give an accurate assessment of their content. I thought they were great! She gives a "teaser". It's basically how a teenager would interpret the book. Then, she gives an overview and various plot/character updates. I think this could be an outstanding tool to give students a basic understanding of the book prior to reading. (Research has proven if students are exposed to a concept prior to reading, their understanding will be much better.) This is not a substitute for reading the book. It is intended as a way to get kids interested in the book and show how it can be interesting. Here's a link: http://www.60secondrecap.com/. Also, here's a link for the background story on how the website began. http://www.boston.com/ae/books/articles/2009/10/31/a_novel_approach_to_getting_kids_into_classics/?s_campaign=8315
I have bookmarked "60 second recap" and will enjoy using it!

No comments:

Post a Comment